First and foremost, let’s talk about how dinged up the front door of our rental house is…wow. After looking at this picture, I thought, maybe we should consider painting it even though we don’t own this house. It’s
a little quite embarrassing.
I really wanted to make a Halloween wreath this year, but I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on it (I have to use my weekly allowance for most crafts…yes, we have a weekly allowance system in our house…I’m sure you’re thinking that you haven’t had an allowance since you were 15 years old and that seems super weird, go ahead and keep thinking it….and if you have any phrases that sound more adult than “allowance” feel free to share ;)), so I decided to spray paint a grapevine wreath (I got it at Michaels for $5 but I had a 50% off coupon so it became $2.50–SCORE!). Dr O primed it and then did two coats of bright pumpkin orange. To spray paint a grapevine wreath successfully, you really have to get in the cracks and be willing to get some paint on your hands. Lucky for me, Dr O likes being a part of my crafts…thus, he generally does any spray painting I need done. 🙂 Once your wreath is coated well with paint, let it get nice and dry. Seriously, it *might* take a whole can of spray paint, but it’s going to look SOOOOO good!
Then you simply start tying some white string (I used sewing thread I had on hand, but white yarn would be really great!) across the middle of the wreath to resemble a web. I used vinyl to attach the words “trick or treat” to white cardstock, but you could use sticker letters or print it out on the paper. I used vinyl because I knew I would be scorching the paper and I wanted the burn marks to go near or into the letters and if I had just printed it then the flame would have taken the letters away on the paper. The vinyl is a little more resistant to the flame.
I took the words I had scorched and taped them onto the string that I had placed in the center of the wreath. I bought a couple of spiders at Michaels for $1 or $2 and attached them with orange yarn that my best friend brought me (shout out GiGi!). So, the overall cost of this project was about $8 (because spray paint at Michael’s is expensive! If you don’t have a coupon, get it at Wal-Mart…it’s $2.00 cheaper!). Had I had another coupon, I could have done this project for about $5, but regardless. I think it turned out pretty good 🙂